History

The History of Kansai Ohkura

More than a century of tradition

Below is the history of Kansai Ohkura, which explains how Kansai Ohkura has been developing over more than a hundred years since the opening of our two predecessors, Kansai Trade and Technical School and Osaka Ohkura Commercial School.

1902  

Kansai Trade and Technical School Established

October 3, 1902

Kansai Trade and Technical School was founded at the site of Osaka Municipal Commercial School in Dojima, Osaka City, by favor of five academic and official figures: Yoshimi Hiraga , Doctor of Engineering; Iwao Okino, Director of Civil Engineering of the Home Ministry; Yoshiro Hiranuma, Doctor of Law and president of Waseda University; Kiyoshi Minami , Doctor of Engineering; Kyozo Kikuchi, Doctor of Engineering.

 
1907  

Osaka Ohkura Commercial School Established

October 23, 1907

Kihachiro Ohkura, one of the leading businessmen at the time, founded Osaka Ohkura Commercial School at Joan-cho, Osaka City, on the rent-free site just next to Osaka Prefectural Medical School.

 
1948  

The Birth of Kansai Ohkura

September 2, 1948

Kansai Trade and Technical School was renamed Kansai Business School in April 1948, and was merged with Osaka Ohkura Commercial School into Kansai Ohkura Junior and High School, with Mikiji Takagi as the first principal. Commercial, electrical and civil engineering departments were started in full-time and part-time courses.

 
1951  

The School Song Established

October 1951

The school song was written by Sofu Takemoto, Doctor of Literature, and composed by Tateyuki Matsudaira, the music teacher.

 
Top of Page
1957  

The Tenth Anniversary

October 1957

A ceremony was held to mark the tenth anniversary of the foundation of Kansai Ohkura, with a lecture given by Konosuke Matsushita, the founder of Panasonic, who had studied at Kansai Trade and Technical School.

 
1963  

Relocation to Ibaraki

March 1963

Kansai Ohkura Junior and High School was relocated to the peaceful natural surroundings of Ibaraki. In 1968, a stone monument was placed in the precincts of Yasaka Shrine in memory of the former school grounds in Osaka City.

 
1972  

The Seventieth Anniversary

November 1972

A ceremony was held to mark the seventieth anniversary of the foundation of Kansai Trade and Technical School, and three alumni meetings (Kansai Trade and Technical School, Osaka Ohkura Commercial School, Kansai Ohkura Junior and High School) were held as a single event, the inauguration of the Kansai Ohkura Alumni Association.

 
1974  

Admission to Kansai Ohkura Junior Hish School Suspended

April 1974

Kansai Ohkura suspended admission to Kansai Ohkura Junior Hish School.

   
1984  

Sister school Agreement signed with Sunrin Commercial High School

June 1984

Kansai Ohkura Junior and High School signed a sister school agreement with Sunrin Commercial High School, which is called Sunrin Internet High School now, in Seoul, Korea.

 
Top of Page
1994  

Admission to Kansai Ohkura Junior Hish School Resumed and Hybrid Hall Built

1994

Kansai Ohkura restarted accepting applications for Kansai Ohkura Junior Hish School in April and held a ceremony to celebrate the completion of the Hybrid Hall in October. It has a total floor area of 2155.04 square meters, with a main hall accommodating 800, conference rooms, and a school history exhibition room.

 
1997  

Coeducation Started

April 1997

Kansai Ohkura Junior High School became coeducational.

 
2002  

The Centenary

October 2002

A great ceremony was held at the Osaka International Convention Center to mark the centennial anniversary of Kansai Trade and Technical School.

 
2009  

New Gymnasium Built

November 2009

The new gymnasium was completed. It has three floors and one basement in which students can play basketball in three basketball courts, judo and kendo in their respective dojos.

 

Access

Principal's  blog